0

How can I avoid being a doubting Thomas?

8
We should thank God for the example of "doubting Thomas"! The famous story of the disciple Thomas, whose name literally means "doubter," is recorded in John 20:24-29. All Christians suffer doubt at...

July 01 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report

1
Mini Ben Zickefoose Retired, Kinesiology Dept. ACU, TX & traveling ministry.
There was a time in my life when my faith was wavering. It concerned me. I knew I didn’t want to lose it. So, I went to work on it. After dealing with and studying the challenge for some time, I came to this conclusion: for one to maintain and grow in faith, that one must diligently and regularly study the word of God, believe it and live it.

The following two passages from Scripture confirm the source of faith and how to maintain it.

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. KJV

Romans 10:17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. NIV

James 2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds (works KJV) is dead. NIV

BELIEVE THE WORD OF GOD AND LIVE IT.

Live a life of LOVE and SERVICE to others.

A practical exercise one might do to help avoid “doubt” is: keep a prayer journal. Record your requests and thanksgivings, and the answers/results. From time to time, reflect on your journal entries. Note how God keeps His promises. Of course, this implies that one must continue daily to read and study the word of God in order to know His promises.

I recently received these two thoughts from SermonQuotes.com:

”I have learned that faith means trusting in advance what will only make sense in reverse.”

“Even though you may not understand how God works, you know He does.” 

In closing, as Jesus said to Thomas, “.... blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” John 20:29 NIV

Blessings,

Matthew 5:1-11

May 02 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report