0

Why would the writer of Ecclesiastes say the wise won't be remembered any longer than the fool after their deaths?

For the wise and the foolish both die. The wise will not be remembered any longer than the fool. In the days to come, both will be forgotten.

Ecclesiastes 2:1 - 26

ESV - 1 I said in my heart, "Come now, I will test you with pleasure; enjoy yourself." But behold, this also was vanity. 2 I said of laughter, "It is mad," and of pleasure, "What use is it?

Clarify Share Report Asked July 11 2022 My picture Jack Gutknecht

2
Mini Shirley H Wife, mother, veteran in the spiritual war we all face!
Did you ever read the last page of a book before the beginning?

In this case, the "Book of Ecclesiastes," I think this helps us to understand.

King Solomon concludes that as we journey and search for meaning in life, there is only one conclusion. Without God, everything is mundane, routine, never-ending, and repetitious. 

With God there is hope, peace joy, and a life of fullness. Then the best is yet to come, when we meet the Lord face to face! We will be glad that we tried to honor Him while we walked on His earth.

One day we will give an accounting of our time and what we did.

1
To me, this is a further example of portions of the book of Ecclesiastes where the writer is speaking from the point of view of knowledge "under the sun " (as was first noted in Ecclesiastes 1:3) -- that is, from the perspective of human observation, without divine insight -- leading him to conclude that everything (even wisdom) was meaningless, and to make multiple statements similar to the cynical perspective contained in the verse cited in the question.