0

Why make the way to salvation "narrow"? (Luke 13:24)

Luke 13:22 - 30

ESV - 22 He went on his way through towns and villages, teaching and journeying toward Jerusalem. 23 And someone said to him, "Lord, will those who are saved be few?" And he said to them.

Clarify Share Report Asked July 05 2022 Mini Anonymous

2
Mini James Kraft 74 year old retired pipeline worker
The way to heaven is so narrow there is no other way. Acts 16:31. Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him who justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. Without His righteousness no one could be saved. Our righteousness is as filthy rags. 

Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but through Me. 

Jesus plus nothing equals eternal life. Jesus paid it all and we paid 0. You cannot boast in 0.

Romans 3:26-28 For He is the just and the justifier of them that believe in Jesus. Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? By the law of works? Nay, but by the law of FAITH. Therefore we conclude a man is justified by FAITH apart from the deeds of the law. 

Galatians 2:21 I do not void the grace of God, if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain. 

Jesus is the only way of salvation. There is no other name given among men whereby we must be saved. 

Romans 11:6 All grace, no works. If you add one work to grace it is no more grace but all works. 

We can only be saved by what Jesus did for us. Not by anything we do or do not do. 

Romans 6:23 For the penalty for sin is death, but the GIFT of God is eternal life, through Jesus Christ our Lord. 

Man can do nothing to save himself. We have a sin debt we cannot pay. But Jesus paid the debt and set us free. John 3:18.

First John 2:2. Romans 1:16. First John 5:13. Ephesians 1:13-14. Our guarantee of eternal life. Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the Holy Spirit in whom ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. 

Jesus is the narrow way because there is no other way to be saved than what He did. 

Why did Jesus say few would be saved? We only have to go to Matthew 7:21-23. Many will call me Lord, Lord, and tell me about all their good works. How they prophesied in my name, and cast out demons in my name, and did many wonderful works in my name. 

But Jesus says, depart from me ye that work iniquity, I never knew you. Not I did know you and now I don't, I never knew you. 

They trusted in what they did to earn heaven. Not what Jesus did for them. 

John 6:40 And this is the will of Him who sent me, that ALL that seeth the Son, and believeth on Him, may have everlasting life, and I will raise him up on the last day. John 6:29. Jesus, answered, and said unto them, this is the work of God, that ye believe on the one He has sent. 

First Corinthians 1:18. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish, foolishness, but unto us who are saved, it is the POWER of God. 

First Corinthians 1:21 For after that, by the wisdom of God, the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 

John 3:16. Jesus said it, we believe it, and that settles it. John 3:18 Believers can no longer be condemned to hell. Jesus paid our sin debt in full, past, present, and future sins we have not even thought of yet. He has imputed His perfect righteousness to our account. 

He has forgiven us all trespasses. Colossians 2:13. Romans 4:7-8 He will no more impute sin to our account. 

Salvation by grace excludes law /works. If we could do one thing that would save us, then Jesus died in vain. 

So, few will be saved. Most are trusting in what they do instead of what Jesus did for us. Salvation by works never works. Salvation by grace is apart from works for the free gift of eternal life.