0

Why lump cowards, murderers, "and all liars" together? (Revelation 21:8)

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. 8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Revelation 21:1 - 27

ESV - 1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Clarify Share Report Asked 4 days ago My picture Jack Gutknecht

2
Lying may seem at first reading more "trivial" than the other vices listed, but I would say that it merits such pre-eminence, considering that Satan (whom Jesus called "the father of lies" (John 8:44)) caused the original fall of all of humanity into sin by means of a lie (Genesis 3:4-5) and continues to deceive people into rejecting the gospel to this day. In turn, humans who practice lying (including lying to themselves about their lost condition) serve him in expanding his "kingdom". 

By contrast, Jesus referred to Himself (in John 14:6) as "the Truth". Humans (even saved Christians) may not be able to emulate His claims to also be "the Way" and "the Life", but they CAN imitate Him by believing His true words, and by always speaking the truth in love to others, as well.

4 days ago 0 responses Vote Up Share Report