0

What can or should we learn from Peter's boast in Matthew 26:33-35?

33 Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.”

34 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”

35 But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same.

Matthew 26:33 - 35

ESV - 33 Peter answered him, "Though they all fall away because of you, I will never fall away. 34 Jesus said to him, "Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.

Clarify Share Report Asked November 03 2020 My picture Jack Gutknecht

3
I'd say that we should learn from Peter to avoid conceited pride in our own abilities and to exercise humility in our attitudes and conduct with respect to God and others, while at the same time not allowing occasions when we sin, or disappoint other people (even if we do so severely), to draw us away from continuing to serve God.

Instead, we should admit and repent of our shortcomings and failures when they occur, seek God's forgiveness for Jesus' sake, reconcile ourselves with those whom we have let down, and continue to serve God and others in whatever capacity or role we can, or to which He calls us.

November 03 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
My picture Jack Gutknecht ABC/DTS graduate, guitar music ministry Baptist church
All who fear the Lord should take heed lest they suddenly fall, like Peter. 1 Corinthians 10:12 says, “Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.” Our lives might be threatened, but still we must stand firm. 

We must realize that our old nature is so prone to inconsistency, at least mine is, that when I had been so bold before, might tremble like a leaf now. I might even resort to cursing to prove my point, if my life was at stake. I could lie just like Peter did, but my conscience would smite me afterwards! We just need to ask for the Holy Spirit’s help, to help us not boast, but to be infused with His power to be bold, and if we fall, to humbly confess it and move on in our Christian lives.

November 04 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report