0

Did Jesus claim to be the only way of salvation (John 14:6)?

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 14:6

NIV - 6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Clarify Share Report Asked July 03 2020 My picture Jack Gutknecht

1
If the gospels had been originally written in Latin, the answer to the posed question might be subject to debate, since Latin did not use articles (such as "a" or "the") in connection with nouns. However, in the Greek of the original text, each of Jesus' claims was prefaced with the definite article (that is, "the"), indicating that Jesus was claiming exclusivity with regard to each of the three statements.

To me, this is similar to Jesus' saying that He had the authority to forgive sins (Matthew 9:1-8), which the Christian apologist C. S. Lewis regarded as one of the most definitive indications of both His claim to be God, as well as of the reality of His divinity. The statement in John 14:6 similarly makes claims that confront the hearer with a "liar, lunatic, legend, or Lord" choice about Jesus, with the sole possible conclusion (considered in light of the rest of the Biblical record) being that Jesus was both God in human flesh, as well as the only individual who has ever lived who could truly make such a statement..

0
My picture Jack Gutknecht ABC/DTS graduate, guitar music ministry Baptist church
Of the 29 Bible verses about access to God, 2 are relevant here:

John 14:6

Jesus said to him [to Thomas], “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

1 Timothy 2:5

The apostle Paul said, "For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus." (italics added).
Moreover, Jesus sternly warned His followers about those who would try to preach a different Christ (Mt 24:4-5). 

A bold Peter said in Acts 4:12, "Neither is there salvation in any other, for there is none other name under heaven, given among men, whereby we must be saved." Moreover, Jesus sternly warned His followers about those who preach a different "Christ" (Mt 24:4-5).

I love these stanzas from 2 different hymns.

1. There is one Way, and only one,
Out of our gloom, and sin, and care,
To that far land where shines no sun
Because the face of God is there.

There is one Truth, the Truth of God,
That Christ came down from Heav’n to show,
One Life that His redeeming blood
Has won for all His saints below.

2. If you would meet in Heaven
Those that you miss today,
The Blessèd One must lead you—
He is the only way.