1

Why did God have to test Abraham to see if he would sacrifice Isaac if He's omniscient and knows everything?

Genesis 22:1 - 24

ESV - 1 After these things God tested Abraham and said to him, "Abraham!" And he said, "Here am I. 2 He said, "Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.

Clarify Share Report Asked June 09 2020 Mini Anonymous

3
In my view, God ordered Abraham to sacrifice Isaac not because He Himself did not already know what Abraham would do, but to have Abraham grow and mature in his faith in a way that no other means could so greatly achieve by finding out for himself what he was willing to do, or how far he was willing to go, to obey God. (That is, Abraham's faith was just a theoretical concept until he had to apply it to this most severe concrete situation.)

(As noted in Hebrews 11:17-19, Abraham -- even as he prepared to kill Isaac -- had such great faith that he believed that, even if he were to kill Isaac, God would be able to raise Isaac from the dead. And God rewarded him for that faith.)

June 09 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
My picture Jack Gutknecht ABC/DTS graduate, guitar music ministry Baptist church
I think God would "have to" test Abraham in this way to see if Abraham really loved Him and to show us that he did. God did not/does not hide the painfulness of surrender from us. 

I also believe it was analogous to God sacrificing His Son for us. However not all would agree as I once mentioned this to a precious Jewish elderly couple, Al and Ellie, probably deceased by now, but they disagreed because they did not believe in Jesus. See S. Michael Houdmann's wonderful article about this analogy at GotQuestions.org. Here's the link: https://www.gotquestions.org/Abraham-Isaac.html