1

What does the Bible say about women wearing a head covering, and does it apply to us today?

1 Corinthians 11:3

ESV - 3 But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.

Clarify Share Report Asked June 06 2020 Mini Pete Bueckert

0
In my opinion, Paul was referring to a head covering for a woman during worship both as a symbol of submission in a religious context (to both God and -- in the case of a married woman -- to her husband), and as a symbol of modesty (which is how I interpret Paul's comment "because of the angels" -- referring (in my opinion) to the account in Genesis 6:2 with regard to the sons of God (spiritual beings) looking upon the daughters of men, seeing that they were fair, and having children with them (since a woman's hair is a prime element of her physical beauty)).

The way in which I would apply this to modern Christian worship would be that women (and, particularly, married women) should not attire, adorn, or comport themselves with regard to worship services in a manner that is intended to be deliberately provocative or distracting (unlike social settings where they might be making an intentional or maximum effort to be visually appealing to their husbands or to members of the opposite sex in general).

June 07 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Data Linda Matute
I think Paul was talking to the people of Corinth about head coverings as they were part of their everyday custom. Paul also states that the prayers of an uncovered woman will not be heard. No one believes that! I feel therefore it does not relate to today's women.

13 days ago 0 responses Vote Up Share Report