0

Why did Jesus discourage some people from following him? (Matthew 8:20)

18 When Jesus saw a crowd around him, he gave orders to cross to the other side. 19 A scribe approached and said to him, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.” 20 Jesus answered him, “Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head.” 21 Another of [his] disciples said to him, “Lord, let me go first and bury my father.” 22 But Jesus answered him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their dead.”

Matthew 8:20

ESV - 20 And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.

Clarify Share Report Asked May 16 2020 My picture Jack Gutknecht

2
I would say that Jesus was not actually trying to discourage people from following Him, but that, in a spirit of truthfulness, He wanted to be sure that they were aware of the full commitment, as well as the potential cost, involved in discipleship, perhaps even to the point of requiring them to give up their earthly lives.

If this ended up discouraging some of those people, it would have been because those individuals were drawn to Jesus primarily by thoughts of the recognition, popularity, or other personal benefits that they believed discipleship would result in for them, with no consideration of the opposition they might face, or the hardships they might have to endure. (Jesus spoke of this in passages such as Luke 14:26-33.)

May 16 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report