1

What should I do if my church of 300 is still meeting in spite of the state governor asking people to refrain from large gatherings due to COVID-19?

I still have faith and believe I can trust God, but the state governor has asked people to refrain from large gatherings. What should Christians do?

Clarify Share Report Asked 12 days ago Mini Joyce Wall

6
To me, attending worship services under the current circumstances (even as a demonstration of faith) in the absence of some vital overwhelming necessity to do so (which I have difficulty picturing) amounts to putting God to the test, similar to Satan tempting Jesus to throw Himself off the top of the temple in the expectation of God's protection (with Satan even quoting Scripture (Psalm 91:11-12) in the process), but for which Jesus rebuked him (Matthew 4:5-7).

The two main considerations that lead me to this opinion are the current lack of a preventive measure for COVID-19, and the likely elderly (and therefore especially vulnerable) composition of many Christian congregations. In fact, such attendance -- under the current circumstances -- might even fall under the heading of the type of public display of faith that Jesus condemned in Matthew 6:5-6, not to mention being a failure to act in a spirit of love and concern toward those vulnerable attendees.

I might feel differently if it were not possible for individuals to worship God in the privacy of their own homes, without putting themselves or others at risk. But Jesus even recommended such private worship in the same passage from Matthew cited above.

Corporate worship can readily be resumed at such time as the current situation eases. Also, lack of personal attendance does not prevent the mailing or electronic transmission of pledged financial support.

(And that is not to mention that the attendance indicated under the circumstances described in the question would also amount to defying civil authorities, whom Christians are called on to obey and honor (Romans 13:1).)

12 days ago 3 responses Vote Up Share Report