0

How does God refresh our souls (Psalm 23:3)?

Psalm 23 King James Version (KJV)

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

3 
    he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake. (NIV)

Psalms 23:3

ESV - 3 He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Clarify Share Report Asked March 14 2020 My picture Jack Gutknecht

0
Aside from the ways in which the thought in this verse is expressed in the translations noted in the question, other versions of Scripture render it as, "He renews my strength," and "He gives me new strength."

Every human grows tired and in need of rest or reinvigoration (physically, mentally, emotionally, or all of those) at times. In such a state, they are weakened, and are functioning at less than desired or maximum capability (in addition to perhaps being more vulnerable to sin or temptation). David is saying that, at such times, God (a source of infinite strength who never tires or grows weary) gives him new or added power in those respects in order to be able to deal with whatever challenges may be confronting him.

March 14 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report