1

How can I know that Scripture is of itself sufficient for faith and for life?

Ro 7:12 and 1Ti 1:8

Ps 19:7 also Ps 119:142; Jas 1:25

Ps 119:89  also Mt 5:18; Mt 24:35; 1Pe 1:24-25; 

Isa 40:6-8

Clarify Share Report Asked January 19 2020 Mini Jack Gutknecht

3
Christians believe in the verbal plenary inspiration of the books in the Bible, meaning that every word found in the Bible is given to us by God (verbal), everything in the Bible is authoritative (plenary), and every word is also divinely directed (inspired). They also acknowledge God's guidance and control of the human process of determining which writings were to be included in the scriptural canon.

Those same books record God as saying in Isaiah 55:10-11, "As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

They also reveal information about God that could only be known through revelation on His part, and they testify to their veracity and accuracy through fulfilled prophecy.

Since those same books state that they are useful to teach us what is true; to make us realize what is wrong in our lives; to correct us when we are wrong; and to teach us to do what is right (2 Timothy 3:16), that says to me that they provide all the information that God regards as essential for correct conclusions concerning Him, our relationship to Him, and our dealings with other humans.

Other writings about God may contain useful insight and information, but they are purely human products that do not possess the same type of direct divine involvement, and are subject to debate and differing opinions with regard to their arguments and conclusions.

January 19 2020 3 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Mini Jack Gutknecht ABC/DTS graduate, guitar music ministry Baptist church
Scripture is good (Romans 7:12; compare 1 Timothy 1:8). Scripture is perfect (Ps 19:7; compare Psalms 119:142 and James 1:25). Scripture is eternal (Psalms 119:89; compare Matthew 5:18; 24:35; 1 Peter 1:24-25; and Isaiah 40:6-8.

January 20 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report