What does it mean to redeem a tithe and add a fifth to it?


Leviticus 27:31

ESV - 31 If a man wishes to redeem some of his tithe, he shall add a fifth to it.

Clarify Share Report Asked January 14 2020 1418557180 cindy simons

Community answers are sorted based on votes. The higher the vote, the further up an answer is.

Mini Tim Maas Retired Quality Assurance Specialist with the U.S. Army
The Israelites were required by the Law that God gave to them through Moses to give a tithe (that is, one-tenth) of their income to God -- not just with regard to monetary wealth, but also with respect to material goods such as crops and livestock. (This was not only a reflection of gratitude to God for His blessings, but also for the support of the members of the priestly tribe of Levi, who were devoted exclusively to their duties of leading the religious life of the nation, and who thus did not sow crops or produce goods in order to have food and income of their own.) 

As I understand the verse cited in the question, it was saying that, if a person wished to keep a portion of his tithe of any of those material goods for his own use, he could do so, but he was then required to "redeem" it (that is, "buy it back") by adding another 20% (one-fifth) of the amount held back. For example, if a person gave only 5% of a given commodity to God, he had to tithe not only the remaining 5% in cash, but also 1% more, for a total of 6%.

January 15 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

Picsart 12 21 05.38.35 prince kobby
One-fifth =1/5.
So one-fifth of 100 = 1/5 x 100 = 20%. 
So instead of paying 5 out of 50, you add one-fifth and pay 10.
20% of 50 is 10. 
Thank you.

August 05 2020 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

Mini a w
Fifth = 20% 
So you would pay an additional 20% of the amount of your tithes in addition to your 10%.

Example: You make 1000, you would owe 100 as 10%. If you keep the 100 you would owe 20% (1/5) of the tithe amount, so 20. This would make your total 100(10%) + 20 (1/5) = 120 total.

7 days ago 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

Add your Answer

All answers are REVIEWED and MODERATED.
Please ensure your answer MEETS all our guidelines.

What makes a good answer? ▼

A good answer provides new insight and perspective. Here are guidelines to help facilitate a meaningful learning experience for everyone.

  1. Adhere to the eBible Statement of Faith.
  2. Your answer should be complete and stand-alone.
  3. Include supporting arguments, and scripture references if possible. Seek to answer the "why".
  4. Adhere to a proper tone and spirit of love and understanding.
  5. For more info see The Complete Guide to eBible
  1. 4000 characters remaining