1

What does the Hebrew word spelled aleph tav mean? It occurs over 7000 times in the OT but is never translated into English.

Can/do we know the meaning and/or any significance of this word?  I have heard possibilities which seem to add depth of understanding verses like Rev 1:8 or John 1:1 and even Genesis 1:1.  I have not heard much about it before yesterday and am fascinated and wondering if the information I saw was credible so am looking for answers. 

Clarify (1) Share Report Asked 8 days ago Stringio Nick Pyen

2
Mini Jack Gutknecht ABC/DTS graduate, guitar music ministry Baptist church
Jesus showed Himself to be the First and the Last, the Alpha and Omega, in the book of Revelation.

Revelations 1:8 (KJV) -"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty."
Revelations 1:11 (KJV) - "… I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea." 
Revelations 21:6 (KJV) - "And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." 
Revelations 22:13 (KJV) - "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last." 

The Alpha and Omega are the first and last letter of the Greek Alphabet; while the Aleph אֵ and Tav ת are the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet. An argument can be made that Jesus is the Aleph Tav אֵת.

7 days ago 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Open uri20141001 30731 mp5k88 Thomas Mitchell
The aleph (aleph) is the first letter of the Hebrew aleph-bet (alphabet), and the tav (tav) is the last letter of the aleph-bet. It is in the placement of these two very significant letters at strategic locations within many verses of Hebrew scripture that express the understanding of a total completeness. It is equivalent to saying "from alpha to omega, from a to z, from first to last, from beginning to end."

0
Mini Beverly Hilderbrand
The words aleph tav (את-in Hebrew) have the same meaning as the Greek words Alpha and Omega and of our words today, The beginning and the end!

0
Mini Shari Cyphers
According to Owlcation, Tamarajo, author, aleph and tav are the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet.