0

Who was God's war club in Jeremiah 51:20?

Jeremiah 51:20 NIV "You are my war club, my weapon for battle- with you I shatter nations, with you I destroy kingdoms,
21 with you I shatter horse and rider,
    with you I shatter chariot and driver,
22 with you I shatter man and woman,
    with you I shatter old man and youth,
    with you I shatter young man and young woman,
23 with you I shatter shepherd and flock,
    with you I shatter farmer and oxen,
    with you I shatter governors and officials.

Jeremiah 51:20 - 23

ESV - 20 You are my hammer and weapon of war: with you I break nations in pieces; with you I destroy kingdoms. 21 With you I break in pieces the horse and his rider; with you I break in pieces the chariot and the charioteer.

Clarify Share Report Asked 13 days ago Mini Jack Gutknecht

0
Although the verses cited in the question are separated from their antecedent by several verses, I would say that the reference in Jeremiah 51:20 to God's "war club" pertains to the Medes noted in Jeremiah 51:11, whom God was going to use to overthrow the Babylonian Empire as God's punishment for the manner in which Babylon had exiled Judah from Palestine. This was fulfilled when Cyrus the Great of the Medo-Persian Empire conquered Babylon in 539 BC.

5 days ago 0 responses Vote Up Share Report