0

Why did Jeremiah keep preaching when no one was listening? (Jeremiah 7:22–27)

22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:

23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.

24 But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.

25 Since the day that your fathers came forth out of the land of Egypt unto this day I have even sent unto you all my servants the prophets, daily rising up early and sending them:

26 Yet they hearkened not unto me, nor inclined their ear, but hardened their neck: they did worse than their fathers.

27 Therefore thou shalt speak all these words unto them, but they will not hearken to thee: thou shalt also call unto them, but they will not answer thee.

Clarify Share Report Asked 9 days ago Mini Jack Gutknecht

2
I would say that the clearest answer to the question would be that that was what God had directed Jeremiah (in passages such as that cited in the question) to do, even though God Himself (in His omniscience) knew that the people to whom Jeremiah was preaching would not listen to him. Jeremiah's preaching (even though the people were not listening) would also leave those people without excuse before God for their spiritual blindness and sin. (Please disregard any duplicate postings of this answer if they appear.)

8 days ago 0 responses Vote Up Share Report