0

How is God a shield? (Psalm 84:11)

How is God a shield? (Psalm 84:11, NIV)

10 Better is one day in your courts
    than a thousand elsewhere;
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
    than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
    the Lord bestows favor and honor;
no good thing does he withhold
    from those whose walk is blameless.

Clarify Share Report Asked January 23 2019 Mini Jack Gutknecht

0
I would say that, although no one (including Christians) in this fallen world is guaranteed complete immunity from adversity (including adversity produced by spiritual forces opposed to God), God is a shield for Christians first and foremost by providing them eternal salvation through faith in Christ (Ephesians 6:16).

I also believe that, regardless of any seeming adversity that we as Christians may experience in this life, we should also be able to recognize occasions when the worst consequences of such adversity were avoided, or did not come to pass at all, or were mitigated by counterbalancing circumstances, all of which I would attribute to God making all things work together for good for His followers (as Paul noted in Romans 8:28).

And, even if such recognition does not occur in this life, I would say that Christians will finally and fully realize in eternity every single time and way in which God intervened on their behalf to shield them from adversity, and of which they may never even have been aware.

January 24 2019 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Mini Shirley H Wife, mother, veteran in the spiritual war we all face!
In Genesis 15:1, The Lord came to Abraham in a vision and said, do not be afraid, I Am your shield, your great reward.

Deuteronomy 33:29, reveals that God is the source of human protection. 

2 Samuel 22:3, God is our strength and shield if we trust Him.

When we wait upon the Lord God, it shows our faith. Then He provides the help that we need. Psalm 33:30

Throughout the Bible we have a progressive revelation of who God is and how much He cares for us.

Psalm 119:114, God surrounds us and hides us in His heart of love. You couldn't dream or imagine a more wonderful shield!

One more sample of the shield from the New Testament. The book of Ephesians, chapter 6, verse 16 - God's shield defends us from the fiery darts of the wicked one. We are as believers safe from his assaults.

God has many more names and attributes. All praise to Him alone!