0

What is this "spirit [that] glided past my face, and the hair on my body ..." which Eliphaz the Temanite told Job about?

Job 4 English Standard Version (ESV)
4 Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered and said:

15 A spirit glided past my face;
    the hair of my flesh stood up.

Job 4:4

ESV - 4 Your words have upheld him who was stumbling, and you have made firm the feeble knees.

Clarify Share Report Asked September 22 2018 Mini Jack Gutknecht

1
In my opinion, in this passage, Eliphaz the Temanite is representing the spirit to whom he is referring as being God coming to him in visible form in a vision or dream, and speaking to him. However, this could not have been the case, since God Himself later told Eliphaz in Job 42:7, "My wrath is kindled against you and your two friends; for you have not spoken of Me what is right."

Therefore, the spirit to which Eliphaz was referring would either have been a product of his imagination that confirmed his own (erroneous) viewpoint regarding Job's situation based on his limited human understanding, or a more malevolent entity with the purposeful intent of providing Eliphaz with a mistaken understanding of the dynamics of the situation (as pointed out by Elihu in Job 32-37).

September 24 2018 0 responses Vote Up Share Report