0

How could Saul’s daughter be a snare to David? (1 Samuel 18:21)

21 And Saul said, I will give him her, that she may be a snare to him, and that the hand of the Philistines may be against him. Wherefore Saul said to David, Thou shalt this day be my son in law in the one of the twain.

1 Samuel 18:21

ESV - 21 Saul thought, "Let me give her to him, that she may be a snare for him and that the hand of the Philistines may be against him." Therefore Saul said to David a second time, "You shall now be my son-in-law.

Clarify Share Report Asked August 11 2018 Mini Jack Gutknecht

0
As I read the passage in question, I would say that Saul was thinking that bestowing on David the honor of becoming Saul's son-in-law would increase the degree of loyalty and military duty that David would owe Saul (or, conversely, that Saul would be entitled to demand of David).

This would enable Saul to legitimately assign David to more challenging or dangerous military responsibilities, which would increase the likelihood that David would be killed in battle against the Philistines, thus removing David as a rival to Saul, without Saul being directly responsible for David's death. 

(This would have been similar to what David himself later did to Uriah the Hittite, following David's adultery with Uriah's wife, Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11:14-25).)

August 12 2018 0 responses Vote Up Share Report