0

What do I say to someone who brings up contradictions in the Bible?

Clarify Share Report Asked 4 days ago Stringio Luther Redus

1
Picture1 BERTHA VILLA
In my opinion, when someone brings up contradictions in the bible. First, I would get as much information from that person to understand why he/she believes it is a contradiction. Then, if I don't have the answer right away, I would let him/her know that I will find a way to clarify his/her doubts. The word of God is powerful enough to defend itself. Here are some bible verses that I believe answer your question:
2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage–with great patience and careful instruction.
Philippians 1:16 The latter (out of goodwill) do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel.

3 days ago 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Mini Garry Tinch
Answer: If we read the Bible at face value, without a preconceived bias for finding errors, we will find it to be a coherent, consistent, and relatively easy-to-understand book. Yes, there are difficult passages. Yes, there are verses that appear to contradict each other. We must remember that the Bible was written by approximately 40 different authors over a period of around 1500 years. Each writer wrote with a different style, from a different perspective, to a different audience, for a different purpose. We should expect some minor differences. However, a difference is not a contradiction. It is only an error if there is absolutely no conceivable way the verses or passages can be reconciled. Even if an answer is not available right now, that does not mean an answer does not exist. Many have found a supposed error in the Bible in relation to history or geography only to find out that the Bible is correct once further archaeological evidence is discovered. And might I just add a little wisdom, Pray for enlightenment from the Holy Spirit before we even open the Holy Bible as it says to do "FIRST"!

0
David goliath victory hg clr Jim Tumlinson One beggar leading others to where the bread is
That is a very good question because the bible seems to be full of contradictions. Many times when we see contradictions we seem to see them between the old an new testaments.
Sometimes we can see them in the new testament or what appears to be a contradiction. When we look deeper into what is being said we need to look at whom the writer is speaking, IE Jesus in the gospels was speaking to Jews not Christians. Given the context the entire contradiction will be turned to understanding and no longer a contradiction because it is now seen in context.
I myself have seen what appears to be contradictions in the bible, however I have come to the understanding that the Word of God is far more intriguing and deeper than any man can understand so I have drawn this conclusion;
the bible only contradicts our theology and religiosity. The bible is Gods word and He knows exactly what He is saying to us, it is just us not clearly understanding what is being said.
A good example is the movie Jungle to Jungle when the obligated scene is used. http://www.subzin.com/quotes/M1367990c3/Jungle+2+Jungle/What+means+%22obligated%22%3F

In my understanding of the bible when I see what appears to be a contradiction I simply chalk it up to "I don't have enough information or I don't understand the context of what is being said and or it is only contradicting my theology."