1

What do I say to someone who brings up contradictions in the Bible?

Clarify Share Report Asked December 07 2017 Stringio Luther Redus

4
Mini Garry Tinch
Answer: If we read the Bible at face value, without a preconceived bias for finding errors, we will find it to be a coherent, consistent, and relatively easy-to-understand book. Yes, there are difficult passages. Yes, there are verses that appear to contradict each other. We must remember that the Bible was written by approximately 40 different authors over a period of around 1500 years. Each writer wrote with a different style, from a different perspective, to a different audience, for a different purpose. We should expect some minor differences. However, a difference is not a contradiction. It is only an error if there is absolutely no conceivable way the verses or passages can be reconciled. Even if an answer is not available right now, that does not mean an answer does not exist. Many have found a supposed error in the Bible in relation to history or geography only to find out that the Bible is correct once further archaeological evidence is discovered. And might I just add a little wisdom, Pray for enlightenment from the Holy Spirit before we even open the Holy Bible as it says to do "FIRST"!

December 07 2017 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Picture1 BERTHA VILLA
In my opinion, when someone brings up contradictions in the bible. First, I would get as much information from that person to understand why he/she believes it is a contradiction. Then, if I don't have the answer right away, I would let him/her know that I will find a way to clarify his/her doubts. The word of God is powerful enough to defend itself. Here are some bible verses that I believe answer your question:
2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage–with great patience and careful instruction.
Philippians 1:16 The latter (out of goodwill) do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel.

0
David goliath victory hg clr Jim Tumlinson One beggar leading others to where the bread is
That is a very good question because the bible seems to be full of contradictions. Many times when we see contradictions we seem to see them between the old an new testaments.
Sometimes we can see them in the new testament or what appears to be a contradiction. When we look deeper into what is being said we need to look at whom the writer is speaking, IE Jesus in the gospels was speaking to Jews not Christians. Given the context the entire contradiction will be turned to understanding and no longer a contradiction because it is now seen in context.
I myself have seen what appears to be contradictions in the bible, however I have come to the understanding that the Word of God is far more intriguing and deeper than any man can understand so I have drawn this conclusion;
the bible only contradicts our theology and religiosity. The bible is Gods word and He knows exactly what He is saying to us, it is just us not clearly understanding what is being said.
A good example is the movie Jungle to Jungle when the obligated scene is used. http://www.subzin.com/quotes/M1367990c3/Jungle+2+Jungle/What+means+%22obligated%22%3F

In my understanding of the bible when I see what appears to be a contradiction I simply chalk it up to "I don't have enough information or I don't understand the context of what is being said and or it is only contradicting my theology."

December 08 2017 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Lighthouse Frantz Philossaint
When it comes to contradiction in scriptures. One of the first questions I ask is "What bible version are you using?" The different version are being more and more watered down. For example, in the KJV Psalm 77:13 says "Thy Way O God is in the sanctuary." But if you read the NIV version in the same verse it says "Your ways God are holy.." This is a huge difference in meaning and it is doing away with the sanctuary message. Which is the tabernacle which God had Moses build in the wilderness (Exo 25:8) 

Now in 2 Peter 3:16 it does says that there are "some things hard to be understood..." But I always pray if there is a contradiction. It only means study more and asked God for wisdom. God does not contradict himself and He is not a God of confusion 1 Cor 14:33. Remember we must apply what Isaiah says in chapter 28:10 "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little." I believe God will lead you to truth, if the person wants to know truth. Study the contradiction with the person if you don't know and always make sure to get back to the person and share your findings

Lastly "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" 1 Peter 3:15. Please ready Proverbs 15:28 also. Blessings

December 14 2017 0 responses Vote Up Share Report