6

Why did David choose five smooth stones before going to fight Goliath?

19
Some presume that David took five smooth stones instead of just one because he had some doubt. However, there is no indication in the story of David and Goliath that by picking up five smooth stone...

14
Closeup Jennifer Rothnie Supporter Housewife, Artist, Perpetually Curious
- Why 'five stones':

The primary reason that David chose five stones was because in scripture five is a number associated with provision, grace, and fullness. (Gen 4:34, Gen 45:22, I Sam 21:3, Matt 24:17, Mark 8:19 David knew that the victory would come from from God, not from his own strength. David knew that the victory was by the grace of God, not by his own merit. David knew that the victory of God would be complete.

"You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the Lord will deliver you into my hands, and I’ll strike you down and cut off your head. This very day I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds and the wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.” I Samuel 17:45-47

Just as David credited God, and not his own strength, for the rescue from the bear and lion, he humbly credits the victory to God.

Also, David possibly took the five stones because Goliath was not the only giant around. Four are mentioned, at least one of which was Goliath's brother, in II Samuel 21:18-22. All five of these died by either David's hand or those under his command. The giants had been wiped out by Joshua from Israel, but some remained in Gaza, Gath (where Goliath was from), ans Ashdod (Josh 11:21-22)

While David was only to face Goliath on the battlefield, there was no guarantee that the Philistines would honor the outcome of this "Victory by Championship" battle. Also, even if the philistines left, there was no guarantee that Goliath's family would not take revenge. Fortunately, the philistine army fled in fear when Goliath was defeated (I Samuel 17:1-58), and it does not appear that the other giants challenged David at this time. They were defeated by David's men later.

In general, he would have taken the multiple stones just as an archer carries more than one arrow in his quiver, or a soldier loads his gun completely.

-Why 'smooth stones':

These smooth stones would have been the swiftest, most aerodynamic, most accurate, and most easily flung from the sling; vs. Rough or misshapen stones.

August 18 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
Stringio Denver ray Moore jr
Because they fly though the air straighter.

December 17 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report