0

What should we learn from the account of David and Goliath?

7
The story of David and Goliath (1 Samuel 17) is a factual account from biblical history that demonstrates how the Lord intercedes for His people. David was a shepherd, the youngest of the eight son...

6
Eced7a1f c81d 42f4 95ea 9d5719dce241 Singapore Moses Supporter Messenger of God, CEO in IT industry, Astronaut, Scientist
By race, Goliath was not a Philistine; rather, he came from one of the races of giants whom Israel fought when leaving Egypt. Goliath and his brothers were of the remnant of giants left in the country to test Israel in the settlement of Canaan. He was 13 ft. 4 in. Tall, counting 25 in. As a cubit and 10 in. As a span. David and his men killed the last of the races of giants (1Sam. 17:49; 2Sam. 21:16- 22; 1Chr. 20:4- 8).

Gen. 6:4 teaches that there were giants on the earth "in those days" (before the flood), "and also after that" (after those days which were before the flood), as a result of the sons of God marrying the daughters of men. All these giant nations came from a union of the sons of God (fallen angels) and daughters of men after the flood. Goliath, whom David slew, wore a coat of armor weighing 196 pounds and was nine feet and nine inches tall (1Sam. 17:4- 6). 

The pyramids of Egypt, the giant cities of Bashan and other huge monuments of construction may remain a mystery until they are accepted as the result of the labor and skill of giants.

The Philistine drew near to David, hiding behind the large shield carried by a man before him, not knowing what he was to face. When he looked from behind the protecting shield he was full of wrath a mere boy should be sent against him. He hurled slander at David and cursed him by his gods, promising to give his flesh to the birds and beasts (1Sam. 17:41- 44). Such a boy without armor and weapons of warfare made the vain giant careless in his defense, so he came at the opponent to tear him in pieces with his hands.

Faith of David was the only weapon:

" I have faith in God. I Killed both the lion and the bear, and I will do the same to this uncircumcised Philistine, since he has defied the armies of the Living God. Jehovah delivered me out of the paws of the lion and the bear; He will deliver me out of the hands of this Philistine" (1Sam. 17:34- 37).

Sevenfold prophetic answer of David (1Sam. 17:46- 47 -- fulfilled):
1. You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a shield, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel whom you have defied 
2. This day will the Lord deliver you into my hand 
3. I will smite you and take your head off
4. I will give the bodies of your army to the birds and beasts of the earth, this day 
5. All the earth shall know that there is a God in Israel 
6. All this assembly shall know that the Lord does not save by a sword and spear 
7. The battle is the Lord's and He will give you into our hands

Lessons learnt from this episode:
Note the chief end of David's acts of faith-- that all the earth and all this assembly may know:
1. That there is no god in all the earth like the God of Israel (1Sam. 17:46)
2. That God does not save by carnal weapons (1Sam. 17:47)

4
Mini Doris Loren Stevens
The Lord has taught me a very important lesson from 1Samuel 17 : 37. "David said moreover, The Lord that delivered me out of the paw of the lion and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine. -------".
It was David's past experiences with the living God that gave him confidence and courage to face the uncircumcised Goliath. In like manner, our past experiences with our God should give us hope, courage and confidence to face the present and future challenges of our lives.

Many a times I have noticed believers testifying about God's goodness, protection, healing, provisions and deliverance in their lives. But sooner or later when they encounter a similar situation or a situation of greater degree they fail to remember what God did for them in the past and as a result entertain unnecessary worries, fear, restlessness and turmoil. They should rather like David be able to say with great confidence, 'God who delivered me in a similar situation in the past will deliver me even now in this situation also". 
I have applied this valuable lesson in my life and have seen amazing results.

October 28 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Mini Salem Markus Purba
We should learn that good and evil power always interact with each other. This causes a dynamic of living throughout the history of human life in this world.

No one is good but God alone (Luke 18: 18-27); we should believe and follow God's command, as David did, since we were created as an image of God (Genesis 1:26-31), and it was very good.

Denying the existence of God is an evil (1 Samuel 17: 45-47), as man has a knowledge of good and evil (Genesis 3: 22), he/she can not avoid of doing evil in the eyes of the LORD (1 Kings 11: 6-13).

By believing and following Jesus, we are enabled by God to come to Him (John 3: 16-17; 6: 65).

January 03 2015 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Mini Leroy Prempeh
This passage points toward Jesus. Our savior Jesus Christ is the true David. We are the Jews standing back cowardly unwilling to take on Goliath (the devil). But God sends a savior (appearing to be weak) to fight on our behalf. It is from this sacrifice that we lean into our gratitude and worship our wonderful Father! We deserve to be destroyed but because of Jesus we are victorious through no actions of our own. What a wonderful story!

October 02 2018 0 responses Vote Up Share Report