6

Is speaking in tongues evidence for having the Holy Spirit?

For follow-up discussion and general commentary on the topic. Comments are sorted chronologically.

548269 r1 12 18 013 Angel karing

Nathan gave a wonderful breakdown of the biblical stance on speaking in tongues, thank you Nathan! Jennifer said she heard tongues come from three different sources... Jennifer my question is, are there any other situations like this with any of the other gifts to compare to or is there only problems with tongues? And what are we to learn from this? Thank you!!

March 26 2017 Report

Mini Brook Rachelle

I believe that speaking in tongues and having the fruit of the spirit is the evidence of having Gods spirit livening inside of you. But, I also believe some people fake speaking in tongues to look “special” or extra spiritual. I can feel it inside of me when someone has a strange “fire” or spirit.

Leviticus 10 “And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the Lord, which he commanded them not. And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord.”

I believe that the “gift of the holyghost” like it says in Acts 2:38 is given to those who have truly repented and have been baptized in JESUS name. Not the titles Father Son And Holyghost. All these three are one as it says in Deuteronomy 6:4 “Hear O Israel the Lord our God is One Lord.” Here are a few more:
1 Timothy 2:5 - For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Isaiah 44:6 - Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I [am] the first, and I [am] the last; and beside me [there is] no God.

Isaiah 43:11 - I, [even] I, [am] the LORD; and beside me [there is] no saviour.
James 2:19 - Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Isaiah 43:10 - Ye [are] my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I [am] he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Also these scriptures need to be honestly answered:

Matthew 28:19 - Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Acts 10:48 - And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.”
What is the NAME of the Lord? JESUS

Many people believe that the titles are the right way to be baptized but I disagree, above in Matthew where it says “... baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.” this was not meant as titles because it says IN THE NAME of these titles which the only name we know of is the name of JESUS. Here is proof they are one and the same:

1 Timothy 3:16 King James Version (KJV)
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

God was flesh, God is in heaven, God is the spirit!
So those who say that they have been trying to receive Gods gift of tongue and haven’t... here is a question...
Do you meet Gods qualifications to receive his gift. Acts 2:38 lays the foundation for you... repent, be baptized in his name (singular), and then you shall receive the gift. The Bible never promises that tongues will come immediately after doing these things so wait on the Lord. His promises are true.
Tongues is Gods ultimate gift to mankind, just because many don’t want to sacrifice their wants or life’s for Christ to get Gods gift doesn’t mean that his gift has gone extinct. It is still alive and people receive the genuine gift all the time because of dedication and sincerity. John 3:5 says you cannot enter the kingdom of God with out being born of water and spirit, the tongue is one of the evidences of having the spirit. So I believe you must speak in Tonges to be saved.

October 15 2018 Report

Mini Elizabeth Clevenger

The Bible states that it's the EVIDENCE of the holy ghost. And if you don't have the EVIDENCE of something then you don't have it. I mean I can say I'm a millionaire but if I don't have the EVIDENCE then I'm not really a millionaire am i . Think about it without PROOF it's just lip service.

October 16 2018 Report

Login or Sign Up to add your comment.