This passage states that it will become a desolate waste. Is it still desolate today?
Ezekiel 35:1 - 15
NIV - 1 The word of the Lord came to me: 2 Son of man, set your face against Mount Seir; prophesy against it
For follow-up discussion and general commentary on the topic. Comments are sorted chronologically.
Mt. Seir is Edom (cp. Ezek. 25:12-14) and is the land of Edomites. They are located in the modern day map of Syria.
Abraham was the progenitor of Israelites, Ishmaelites, Midianites, Edomites, and other Arabians (Gen. 17:20; 25:1-3,24-27; Gen. 35:11).
The Edomites were Esau's descendants.
The Edomites and Israelites have been two different peoples in manners, customs, and religion from the very beginning. The Edomites were idolaters (2Chr. 25:20), and their history was one of wars with Jews from the womb of their mother(Ex. 15:15; Num. 20:14-21; 1Sam. 14:47; 2Sam. 8:14; 1Ki. 11:15; 2Ki. 8:20-22; 14:7,10; Ezek. 25:12-14).
Eight Kings of Edom Before Israel's Kings
1. Bela alias Balaam, son of Beor, of Dinhabah (1Chr. 1:43)
2. Jobab, son of Zerah, of Bozrah (1Chr. 1:44)
3. Husham, a Temanite (1Chr. 1:45)
4. Hadad, son of Bedad, of Avith (1Chr. 1:46)
5. Samlah of Masrekah (1Chr. 1:47)
6. Shaul of Rehoboth (1Chr. 1:48)
7. Baal-hanan, son of Achbor (1Chr. 1:49)
8. Hadad of Pai (1Chr. 1:50)
These eight kings evidently reigned over Edom from the time of the end of the exodus and entrance into Canaan, well into the period of the judges in Israel.
Ten reasons for Edom's destruction:
1. Edom's violence against Jacob, his brother (Obad. 1:10).
2. Edom was an enemy of Judah at the time of their destruction (Obad. 1:11).
3. Edom gave assent to the judgment on Judah (Obad. 1:12).
4. Edom rejoiced at Judah's downfall.
5. Edom spoke proudly in the day of distress of Judah.
6. Edom entered fallen Jerusalem as an enemy to take a spoil (Obad. 1:13).
7. Edom looked on the affliction of Judah in the day of calamity (disdainfully).
8. Edom laid hands on the substance of Judah when they were defeated.
9. Edom stood at the crossways to kill those of Judah that would escape (Obad. 1:14).
10. Edom delivered up captives of Judah to be destroyed
The king of the North is the symbolic of Northern kingdom of isreal, that is Syrian President(King of modern Syria, the future Antichrist. He would bring intermediate peace to rebuild the Jerusalem temple again. Jerusalem will be the literal Babylon. And it will desolate again during the battle of Armageddon where, without a doubt, angels will be present (Zech. 14:12-14; Mt. 25:31; 2Th. 1:7-10), along with resurrected saints (Zech. 14:5; Jude 1-15; Rev. 19:11-12)
As a kingdom the Edomites were to be destroyed forever (Obad. 1:10). Thats why God chose Jacob(israel) over Esau
Daniel 11:40-41 is this prophecy then in this location as well. Jordan still has a king.
It's important to maintain the distinction between Israelites -- any member of the 12 tribes of Israel -- and the Jews, who were originally only one of the 12 tribes, and only later became a nation of mixed tribes, as in Yehoshua's day.
This relates to the statement about the Edomites' "wars with Jews," which from the beginning is more accurately described as a war with Israelites.