0

Why does Proverbs 12:21 state that " no harm" or "ill will" will fall upon the righteous?

We know that harm and ill will do fall upon the good and bad people. The disciples were somewhat righteous, and yet they had harm and ill will fall upon them. I know both good and bad people both suffer; harm and ill will fall upon them because we live in a fallen world from the time Adam and Eve were sent out of the garden of Eden.

Proverbs 12:1 - 28

ESV - 1 Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid. 2 A good man obtains favor from the Lord, but a man of evil devices he condemns.

Clarify Share Report Asked May 15 2015 Family 015 Art Diaz

3
Mini Frederick Thomas Rom 3:4 ...let God be true...
Proverbs 12:21
“no harm” or “ill”

Pro 12:21 No harm befalls the righteous, 

My understanding is this.
No matter what we going through its FINAL EFFECT is no harm and no illness.

Everything happens for a good reason. It may appear bad but it cannot be for God is our Protector. What happens to us is what He allows and it will always be for a good reason. Heb 12:5-10 and a good ending.

Harm is only harm in its final victory and so is illness. But our harm and illness is victory 

2Co 4:17 For our present troubles are small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! 

Rom 8:28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them. 

Gen 50:20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people. 

Psa 119:67 Before I was afflicted I went astray, But now I keep Your word. 

The second part of the verse “But the wicked are filled with trouble”.
There is no good purpose in their good and in their trouble but destruction is their end. 

The righteous harm is not harm and illness is not illness.
The final verse of chapter 12 gives us the answer. 
Pro 12:28 In the way of righteousness is life, And in its pathway there is no death. 

1Co 15:55 "O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?" 

God bless

May 16 2015 2 responses Vote Up Share Report

3
Q jcryle001 JD Abshire
“For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.” (Romans 15:4)

“It shall greatly help you to understand Scripture if you mark not only what is spoken or written, but ask of whom and to whom, with what words, at what time, where, to what intent, with what circumstances, considering what goes before and what comes after”

Miles Coverdale

(Myles Coverdale was a 16th-century Bible translator who produced the first complete printed translation of the Bible into English.)

"Why does Proverbs 12:21 state that " no harm" or "ill will" will fall upon the righteous?"

I personally see no reason to spiritualize or understand this verse metaphorically but accept it as stated, literally. The problem is not misinterpretation but misapplication. The question, is to whom does it apply?

I believe Proverbs 12:21 finds its foundation in Deuteronomy 7, specifically verses 11-16 and please notice in verse 12 that it is conditional (I.e. I will "if" you will.) "11. Thou shalt therefore keep the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which I command thee this day, to do them. 12. Wherefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them, that the LORD thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he sware unto thy fathers: 13. And he will love thee, and bless thee, and multiply thee: he will also bless the fruit of thy womb, and the fruit of thy land, thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep, in the land which he sware unto thy fathers to give thee."

14. Thou shalt be blessed above all people: there shall not be male or female barren among you, or among your cattle. 15. And the LORD will take away from thee all sickness, and will put none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which thou knowest, upon thee; but will lay them upon all them that hate thee. 16. And thou shalt consume all the people which the LORD thy God shall deliver thee; thine eye shall have no pity upon them: neither shalt thou serve their gods; for that will be a snare unto thee.

The writings of Proverbs are accredited (primarily) to King Solomon of whom 1 Kings 4:32 records: “And he spake three thousand proverbs: and his songs were a thousand and five.” God breathed? Yes! Can we make direct application of all his writings to all people of all ages, No; we have a Jewish king, under the superintending ministry of The Holy Spirit reminding Jewish readers of God's covenant promises to them, personally. 

My point is this, if there is no distinction made between the Jewish economy and the church, all sorts of error, misinterpretation and misapplication will result. Although applicable in principle (God rewards righteousness and obedience), Proverbs 12:21 was not written to Church age believers but to Israel.

The misapplication of this passage and similar in the professing Christian church opens the door for all sorts of judgmental assumption and accusation; for instance: "They must not be living for the Lord, they lost their home in a fire". "They must have done something terribly out of God's will, their baby died". "They must not be tithing or serving God; otherwise they wouldn't be in such financial distress". See where this leads? 

Proverbs 12:21 contains no contradiction to New Testament teaching, the error is in misapplication.

May 17 2015 1 response Vote Up Share Report

2
Data Lena Wms Student @Christ Gospel Church, S.S.Teacher, Observer
Thank you for this timely question. Christian's s around the world are being tortured and killed for Christ sake every day. How does this line up with this Scripture? First I would like to take us to the very first New Testament Christian slain: Stephen. 

Stephen had given the Word of God to the Jewish leaders and was being Stoned for his efforts. He looked up into Heaven, why? To forgive the offenders! Jesus was STANDING to receive him. Not many things in our lives receive a standing ovation from Jesus. Forgiving those that torment you is at the top of the list. 

Now, was it evil that befell Stephen? I am sure his tormentors believed it was. What about that beautiful Scripture that states: To be absent from the body is to be present with the LORD? 2 Cor 5: 6-8. In light of this, would anyone accuse God of evil upon Stephen? 

If we suffer with Him we will reign with Him. 2
Tim 2:12. Now who are we not to expect this? 

In Pro 12: 21, the word evil does not mean misery or affliction. It means FATHERLESS. can you imagine being without a Heavenly Father? Unspeakably sad! 

Be Blessed
Lena