8

How can I find comfort when an unsaved loved one has died?

24
For the believer, the death of an unsaved loved one is very difficult. Sometimes it seems we will never find comfort or peace of mind when we know the destiny awaiting the unsaved. When a saved lov...

8
9aa51e4b447252291b959c696fb96539 400x400 Jeremiah Kaaya Pastor at Springs of Power Church, Teacher by professional
It is pretty difficult to come to terms with much of reality, yet it is. Death is indeed the most threatening, most terrifying factual monster ever in the life of anything ever to live on earth. It goes on to terrify us when it happens to people we are related to, close friends, and those who may be distant. The death of even an enemy will instinctively ignite a sense of mercy upon the dead. Death is the only effective controlling factor of human beings ever to be.

Now the question props up; how does one find comfort when an unsaved loved one dies? Scripture in Psalms 24:1 says the earth is the Lord’s and all that is there in it. When either a saved or a non-saved loved one dies, I have to first understand it as a command by God which is punishment for sin of Adam and Eve. For a saved one, he/she suffers the death of the flesh, for the unsaved, he/she suffers the death of both; flesh and spirit. Being our fore parents (Adam and Eve), sin carries on to us with its punishment (Genesis 6:3). We are only free of it when we accept and allow Jesus Christ into our lives as Lord and Savior. Based on the fact that the earth is the Lord’s and all that is there in, the Lord is the Land Lord, He chooses to do how He wishes with His property. I will therefore accept everything on that account; that the owner has chosen to do what He wishes with his property.

The above taking therefore calls for continuous vigorous spread of the gospel of truth to whoever, which is the assured way to go. Death is a factual monster; we can only reduce the degree of fear of it by accepting and allowing Jesus (the only one to have overcome death) into our lives. We should stand to preach as much as we can to lead people to the correct path of salvation. This helps to comfort us when our loved ones have died, on account that much as we may grieve at their demise, we are pretty sure that the fact that they let in Jesus, they have a good ending. However though, to have them accept is of the Lord’s. I will grieve for a lost soul, but I will not condemn myself. One of the ways in which I will get comfort after the loss of a loved one is the fact that there is one far much more above me in whose hands is everything (God). He will surely take care, He knows why He does what He does and at whatever time He wishes to do it. Job could only say: 21 …., Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.22 In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly. Job 1:21-22

With Christ, there is lively hope of life after death. Jesus died and rose again. This gives us confidence in Him. He did not only promise, He made sure He assures us of the promise by being the first man to die and rise again. On that account, when He promises us life after death, we do have a lively example in Him.

It is pretty painful when we lose loved ones, much more so when they aren’t saved. In human terms, it is indeed not easy to come to terms with it. I had done all I could to lead my mother to Christ before she died. She refused and died unsaved. It devastated me and I was even much weakened and compromised in my Christianity. Despite all this, I only got a dream and saw her seated on a large frying pan with flames of fire under it. I was pretty assured that she had indeed ended up in Hades. I only came to terms by realizing that the earth is the Lord’s and all that is there in. I can’t go on to question Him. Flesh gives birth to flesh. If one dies, the living should never have anything any more to do with the dead. The spirit belongs to the Lord.

In conclusive terms, I have to reach out to them and present them the choice of salvation. What more can I do other than that. Jesus is our only hope (John 17:6), (John 6:39), (John 18:9). I wish everybody could accept and allow Him into their lives. That is how best we can ever be comforted, even when we are faced with this factual monster.