5

Do mentally ill people go to heaven? Does God show mercy to those who are mentally challenged, disabled, or handicapped?

22
The Bible does not specifically say whether or not mentally ill people go to heaven. However, there is some biblical evidence that anyone who is not able to make a decision for salvation is covered...

10
Mini Austin Williams
I know the phrase is not popular but even in my lifetime, the word "lame" was used for those who were mentally or physically disabled or otherwise unable to take care of themselves.  (I bring this up because I do not read Hebrew or Greek but the word "lame" is used in ESV and several other popular translations in the same way.)

"In that day, declares the Lord,
I will assemble the lame
and gather those who have been driven away
and those whom I have afflicted;
and the lame I will make the remnant,
and those who were cast off, a strong nation;
and the Lord will reign over them in Mount Zion
from this time forth and forevermore." (Micah 4:6-7, ESV)

also 

"On that day it shall be said to Jerusalem:
“Fear not, O Zion;
let not your hands grow weak.
The Lord your God is in your midst,
a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing.
I will gather those of you who mourn for the festival,
so that you will no longer suffer reproach.
Behold, at that time I will deal
with all your oppressors.
And I will save the lame
and gather the outcast,
and I will change their shame into praise
and renown in all the earth." (Zephaniah 3:16-19, ESV)

These verses are fairly self explanatory.  The Lord is prophesying the coming age when He restores all things to Himself.  

Additionally Jesus healed the lame as further example of His coming and fully realized kingdom.  Basically His healings were a preview of what He will do fully when He returns. (not getting into timeline here, but the work of Jesus has already & not yet fully...)

The only caveat is that we do not truly know the mind of anyone considered "lame".  
I assume in asking this, you have someone in mind that you care about.  Encourage them with these verses and others to hope and trust in Jesus for salvation and His coming day when the above will be tangibly complete in front of us!

August 01 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

3
Mini Carrie Burr Christ's work in progress, saved by grace. Widowed.
As far as someone never hearing about God, there is a verse that refutes this. In Romans 1:20 it says "20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." Also Romans 2:15 says, "They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them." Basically it says God has planted an awareness of His existence into every heart. It is our choice to accept or reject the gift, the Truth. This means that God has shown all- remote tribes, suburbanites, city dwellers, wilderness dwellers, country folks- He has shown all of us His eternal power and divine nature....He has written it on our hearts, so there is no excuse. In other words, everyone has heard of God. 

As far as how God will deal with those who have never been told of the gospel, I believe God will deal as fairly with them as He will with those who have. Some people, like the Old Testament patriarchs, have gotten into heaven without knowing Jesus personally. Only God can judge us because He's the only One who truly knows our hearts. For those who have not heard but have not rejected God, such as the misinformed-- the mentally ill, children, etc.) -- we hold out hope that these may be pardoned by a just and fair God.

September 08 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Mini Anonymous
So, it seems at least 4 ways exist to obtain salvation:

1. Submitting to Christ, repentance and baptism 
2. Babies and young children who know nothing of Christ but who are considered innocent of moral sin.
3. The mentally ill who are not capable of moral sin
4. The hypothetical people in remote tribes or locations who have never heard of Christ, and thus never rejected him. 
: 
"IF a person who has never heard the Gospel truly and fully believed what can be known about God through general revelation, would that person be saved? IF such a person did exist, it would seem consistent with the love, mercy, and grace of God that such a person would be saved. Again, please understand, this is a hypothetical that Scripture does not support." http://ebible.com/questions/3469

August 01 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report