0

What was Jesus doing in the desert for 40 days before he was tempted?

Clarify Share Report Asked March 19 2015 Beak to beak barbara ward

6
Mini Dawn M. Fick
Oh my soul just leaped at this question, I am not a Bible scholar, but I believe within, that Jesus after hearing about His dear friend John's imprisonment, that He firstly went to grieve, then His Father had shown Him that He now was to begin His mission, and that these days were spent in talking to His Father, just as we perhaps talk to our very own in times of great stress. What He was about to face......ohhhhhh; I can only pray that we all could loose ourselves in such a manner talking to our Father.

March 20 2015 3 responses Vote Up Share Report

4
The Bible does not go into a great deal of detail about the forty days that Jesus spent in the desert. However, we do know that He fasted during that time. This would have been an exercise in both spiritual and physical discipline, in which He would have depended on the Father to care for Him, and also through which He would be able to identify with the material hardships of humans who do not have enough food or other necessities required to meet their daily needs.

We also know that He did not just go into the desert on a whim, but that He was led there by the Holy Spirit. As at other times during His ministry, this therefore would have been a divinely-planned time of communing with the Father in prayer, and it would have been especially important because it took place just before He was to begin that ministry, and it also occurred just after Jesus' baptism, in which He had received witness of the Father's pleasure with him, and in which He also identified Himself completely with sinful humanity, even though He Himself had no sin, and therefore had also had no intrinsic need of baptism. (As John the Baptist had said to Him, "I need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me?")

I would say that Jesus used this time to contemplate in depth upon His upcoming work of salvation, and to prepare Himself for the multiple ways in which Satan would attempt to cause Him to fail to achieve the goal of that effort -- providing for the redemption of believers through His sacrificial death and resurrection. And, in fact, of course (as you noted in your question), Satan did indeed tempt Him in multiple ways at the conclusion of His time in the desert, including tempting Him to rely on His own miracle-working power to satisfy His hunger, rather than trusting in the Father's ability to provide for His needs.

March 20 2015 2 responses Vote Up Share Report