3

What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol or wine? Is it a sin for a Christian to drink alcohol or wine?

22
Scripture has much to say regarding the drinking of alcohol (Leviticus 10:9; Numbers 6:3; Deuteronomy 29:6; Judges 13:4, 7, 14; Proverbs 20:1; 31:4; Isaiah 5:11, 22; 24:9; 28:7; 29:9; 56:12). Howev...

2
Mini Jack Gutknecht ABC/DTS graduate, guitar music ministry Baptist church
Deuteronomy 14:26
“And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,” 

Yes, it's crystal clear that from this verse and others in the Bible that fermented drink was permissible as far as the diet of the Israelis. But don't forget the Bible's warning vs. Drunkenness (Galatians 5:21; Ephesians 5:18). Also, "moderation in all things" is a Biblical principle. 

So, although it is not a sin to drink alcohol, there are dangers. I know: both of my parents got carried away with it. "Wine is a mocker, intoxicating drink [some or at least 1 version has "beer" here] arouses brawling, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise" (Proverbs 20:1 NKJV). Note the underlined and emboldened 

key phrase. This is 1 of several passages in Proverbs that warn against "alcohol abuse." The drinker gets drunk and then becomes a brawler. 

While abstinence from alcohol is not commanded of everyone, my position on social drinking is that abstaining from it personally guarantees me that I will be avoiding the pitfalls of alcohol abuse.

1
Stringio Teresa Wiltz Freelance writer and copy editor, Christian
I can personally attest to the following scriptures pertaining to the adverse effects of drinking alcohol to the point of intoxication…because it literally almost destroyed my life and soul. If not for the grace of God Almighty, Who shined a bright light by the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ to offer mercy in place of my sinful over indulgence.

There is light at the end of a whirlwind tunnel of poisonous libation; all I had to do was decide which path would carry me out of a world of inebriated bliss into a sustaining faithful life where the hand of God removed my cravings of booze once and for all. I no longer have the slightest desire to sip any kind of alcoholic beverage; for which today I am eternally grateful. 

(Proverbs 23:29-35) “Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has strife? Who has complaints? Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes? Those who linger over wine, who go to sample bowls of mixed wine. Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly! In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper. Your eyes will see strange sights, and your mind will imagine confusing things. You will be like one sleeping on the high seas, lying on top of the rigging. ‘They hit me,’ you will say, ‘but I’m not hurt!’ ‘They beat me, but I don’t feel it!’ When will I wake up so I can find another drink?”