8

Why does Paul say that it was 430 years from the time of delivering the promise to Abraham to the time when the “Law” was given, when it actually was 645 years?

Abraham was 75 when the promise was given (Genesis 12:4). 25 years later, he begat Isaac at 100 years of age (Genesis 21:5), Isaac begat Jacob when he was 60 (Genesis 25:26) and Jacob went to the land of Egypt when he was 130 years of age (Genesis 47:9). Up to this it makes 215 years, after this it took 430 years when Israel left Egypt and got the “Law” at Sinai (Ex 12:40). Totally, it makes 645 years. 
How should this verse be understood?

Galatians 3:17

ESV - 17 This is what I mean: the law, which came 430 years afterward, does not annul a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to make the promise void.

Clarify Share Report Asked November 06 2014 My passport new Arun Kumar

For follow-up discussion and general commentary on the topic. Comments are sorted chronologically.

Mini Shirley H.

This verse in Galations by Paul is just quoting Genesis 15:13. Why get all hung up on the numbers? The Bible is God's Holy word I don't need to understand every single moment of time. But God said it, I believe it and that is enough for me!

November 10 2014 Report

Login or Sign Up to add your comment.