← Back
3

Why did John the baptist send his disciples to Jesus to inquire about his Messiahship if he knew that Jesus was the coming Messiah?

John the baptist, having baptized Christ already in Matthew 3:14 and having heard the voice from heaven that Christ was the son of God (Matthew 3:17), why did he send his disciples to Jesus to inquire of his Messiahship (Matthew 11:3)?

Matthew 11:3

ESV - 3 And said to him, "Are you the one who is to come, or shall we look for another?

Clarify Share Report Asked November 26 2013 My passport new Arun Kumar

2
Q jcryle001 JD Abshire
Although John was chosen by God to announce the Kingdom and the coming Messiah, he probably had the same expectations as everyone else thinking Christ would presently set up his earthly kingdom, delivering Israel from Roman oppression.

Although a tremendous man of faith and mightily used of God, just imagine spending most of your adult life eating grasshoppers, enduring the hardship of wilderness living, experiencing the persecution as a vessel set aside for God's glory then end up in jail. 

When questioned one time concerning his position to Christ, he stated in John 3:30 "He must increase, but I must decrease." However, John probably wasn't expecting it to turn out quite like this. I do not see any recorded evidence where Jesus ever visited John in prison. I would imagine his faith was really put to the test.

The Lord himself gave John quite an endorsement in Matthew 11:10-11 " For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee. Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he." 

Even the greatest men of God have moments and periods of doubt.
2 Timothy 2:13 " If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself."

November 26 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report