1

Why is Jesus God?

Clarify Share Report Asked May 10 2013 Mini Ed Waters

6
Stringio Colin Wong Supporter Founder, eBible.com
The question of whether Jesus is God, is the heart of of Christianity and separates us from the other two Abrahamic faiths: Judaism and Islam. 

Judaism believes Jesus is not God. Islam believes that Jesus is a prophet and indeed include his teachings in the Koran as well. Other cultic offshoots such as Jehovah's Witness believe, Jesus is not God but rather an earlier creation than man. 

As Christians, we believe the Bible to be the absolute Word of God. There are 27 books in the New Testament following the birth of Christ, through his death and the works of the apostles in the early church define our faith. These books differentiate us from Judaism (the first 39 books in the Old Testament). 

Here are some Bible scriptures that mention Jesus' claim as God.

“Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.” - Matthew 1:23

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" John 1:1, then followed by "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth" in John 1:14

But Jesus answered them, "My Father is working until now, and I am working." This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God. - John 5:17-18

"I and the Father are one." The Jews picked up stones again to stone him. Jesus answered them, "I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?" The Jews answered him, "It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God." - John 10:30-33

And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!” - John 20:28

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. - Philippians 2:5-7

"waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ" - Titus 2:13

"For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist" - 2 John 1:7

The long and short of it is YES, according to the Bible, Jesus Christ is the Son of God, who came to earth in the form of flesh, made fully man, died on the cross for our sins, raised from the dead three days later, ascended to heaven and now sits on the right hand side of God, the Father. He is our savior, our Lord, our God.

May 13 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

4
Bush2 EL Mohel Castorena EL Mohel
My response is to see what our Messiah says about himself:

John 8:56-58

56 
 Abraham, your father, was glad that he might see my day; 
 and he saw, and did rejoice.'  

57 
 So the Jews said to him, 
 "You are not yet fifty years old, 
 and have you seen Abraham?" 

58 
 Jesus said to them, 
 "Truly, truly, I say to you, 
 before Abraham was, I AM."

We as Jews are to remember "I AM" as the Holy name.

Exodus 3:14-15

14 	  	
 And God said unto Moses, 
 I AM THAT I AM: 
 and he said, 
 Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, 
 I AM 
 hath sent me unto you.

15 	  	
 And God said moreover unto Moses, 
 The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, 
 the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: 
 this [is] my name for ever, 
 and this [is] my memorial unto all generations. 

Abraham did see God "Jesus" and rejoiced in
that the promised son was to be fulfilled.

Genesis - Chapter 18

1
And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: 
and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;

2 	  	
And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, 
 three men stood by him: 
 and when he saw [them], 
 he ran to meet THEM 
 from the tent door, 
 and bowed himself toward the ground, 

Finally see:

1 Chronicles - Chapter 17:11 thru 13
(Here we hear Nathan speaking to King David)

11
 And it shall come to pass, when thy days 
 be expired that thou must go [to be] with thy fathers, 
 that I will raise up thy seed after thee, 
 which shall be of thy sons; 
 and I will establish his kingdom.

12 	  	
 He shall build me an house, 
 and I will establish his throne for ever.

13 	  	
 I will be his FATHER, 
 and he shall be my SON: 
 and I will not take my mercy away 
 from him, as I took [it] from [him] 
 that was before thee: 

To conclude Jesus by saying "I AM" was an identification 
of the Almighty, because we were told "I AM" is his name for ever, a memorial unto all of our Jewish generations.
making Jesus  "I AM" in flesh. 
Jesus said 
John 10:30 	  	
I and [my] Father are one. 
Shalom to you I hope this helped. EL Mohel

June 10 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report

2
Imag0151 Stephen M Early retired. Enjoying the time God has given me.
Some "bibles" do deny the deity of Jesus EG. The Jehovas witnesses NWT. Also the Mormons deny the deity of Jesus along with others. We are told in Matthew 1:23 that the virgin will become pregnant and give birth to a son, and they will name Him Immanuel, which is translated "God is with us." My Bible clearly tells me Jesus is God in the flesh.

May 12 2013 3 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
Open uri20130622 23898 8dsex Kelli Hamann Supporter Pastor's Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Teacher, Writer, Cellist
There is much evidence to confirm that Jesus was and is God. Lee Strobel wrote a book called, "The Case for Christ," that presents compelling evidence that Jesus truly is who the scripture claims Him to be. "The Case for Christ" is also available for free in video format on the web. Google it and you'll easily find it.

But no matter how much evidence a person can find, ultimately one has to receive Jesus by faith. Ephesians 2:8 says, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith; and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God."

1
Mini Anonymous
Yes. Jesus Christ is God. 

God came in the form of man Jesus Christ) to die for sinners like us. 

The bible says that Christ is the mediator between sinful man and a righteous God before whom no sin can be present.

Accepting the fact that Christ died for us brings us into God's presence as pure people sanctified by the blood of Christ.

This is salvation for man!

May 11 2013 3 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Jesus is God, because He Himself told us so in several verses in scripture. He told John He is God in Revelation 1 verses 8/11/17 and 18. Also in Revelation 21 verse 6 and again in Revelation 22 verse 6. Col 2 verse 9 tells us that  in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. There are many many more verses but do your own research.

May 12 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Stringio Zion Sandhya grace be with you
Nobody performed an autopsy on Jesus’ mangled body after He was taken down from the cross. But doctors who have studied the Bible’s description of His death say the pain would have been beyond excruciating. In fact, the word excruciating means “out of the cross.” Jesus literally defined the worst pain anyone could feel.

His suffering began in Gethsemane, when God laid the sins of the world on His beloved Son. The intense stress caused what physicians call hematridrosis, a condition in which blood seeps out of sweat glands. After His arrest, Jesus was flogged so mercilessly that his skin was stripped off His back, exposing muscle and bone.

After being slapped, punched, crowned with thorns and beaten with reeds, He was covered with a red robe and led to Golgotha. There, Roman soldiers drove seven-inch nails into his wrists (most likely hitting the median nerve, causing more blinding pain) and then they rammed another nail into his feet.

At that point, doctors suggest, Jesus would have suffered dislocation of His shoulders, cramps and spasms, dehydration from severe blood loss, fluid in His lungs and eventual lung collapse and heart failure. Yet He refused to take a pain-killing solution (see Matt. 27:34). He chose to endure the pain for us midst which he prayed not for help or strength BUt he prayed FOR US.   LUKE 23:24  
SUCH MIGHTY LOVE COMES  ONLY FROM GOD.

bible repeatedly tells us our only way to reach God is through the blood of the lamb. Jesus is our only way. my prayers for you that god may reveal it to you brother

1
Jesus Himself in the aforementioned verses in Revelation has revealed the fact that He is God to me. I'll take it straight from Him who knows. If He says it I believe it. Enough said.

1
Mini Jamin Fratello
Along with what John Doe was saying, Jesus Christ is not God because in the Bible, it says Jesus was the Son of God, not God himself.

May 31 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report

1
Mini Rachel R
Jesus is not God. Jesus is God's son and he looks up to and prays to God. The whole idea of the trinity started when the Nimrod in Genesis 10:8 married his mother, becoming, in a sense his own father. Then he started setting up temples where he was worshipped almost like a god. People took this idea and formed the trinity around it!

May 31 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Mini Wayne Newcomb
1 John 3:16 also says that God layed down his life for us do definitely Jesus is God in flesh and came to this earth to be made of no reputation so that we may have life and have it more abundantly.

June 29 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Cpt america John Doe
I have a few scriptures that He says He is not God
May I call Him by His Hebrew name, Yeshua.
1) He sits on the right hand of God, Mark 16:19, Acts 7:55 Heb 12:2, Rom 8:34.
2) Yeshua is also our High Priest Heb 8:1
3) He is the Son of God 1 John 5:12, Mark 1:1, John 8:16
4) Yeshua does not speak in His own authority John 14:10.
5) God said that He was pleased with Yeshua His Son Mat 3:17
6) Yeshua was there in the beginning of creation with God, He is the Word John 1;1

He also didn't pray to Himself when He was in the garden of Gethsemane.
When He thought the how to pray "the Lords Prayer", He didn't refer to Himself once.
He didn't ask Himself to forgive them cause they know not what they do, when He hung on the cross.
And many more, so my Bible says that Yeshua(Jesus) is NOT God

The long and short of it is NO, according to the Bible, Yeshua is the Son of God, who came to earth in the form of flesh, made fully man, died on the cross for our sins if we repent and not do it again, raised from the dead three days later, ascended to heaven and now sits on the right hand side of God, the Father. He is our savior.

May 15 2013 2 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Stringio Abel Christian
This question still differs from denomination to denomination as most receive Jesus as the Second divine person in the Trinity/as God while some reject His divinity with certain variations. I can only provide Luke 24:50-53 in how the worship of Christ began, which reads: 50 Then he led them out as far as  Bethany, and lifting up his hands he blessed them. 51 While he blessed them,  he parted from them and was carried up into heaven. 52 And they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy, 53 and were continually in the temple blessing God. Same goes to Matthew 28:9-10.

In Matthew 3:11-12 at the Baptism of our Lord, John the Baptist, a prophet himself, proclaimed that Jesus is the Emmanuel based on the same proclamation by prophet Isaiah and Jesus would do the very things mentioned in the verse. Another proof of his Lordship would be, of course, the scenario we are very familiar with; voice was heard from heaven, a dove, and the phrase, "This is my Beloved Son in whom I am well pleased", an indication that Jesus is begotten, the witnesses were the crowds, and even more, still counting.

A very concealed verse in the Psalm by David about the Lordship of Christ can be traced in Psalms 110:1 which reads "The Lord says to my Lord;sit here at my right hand until I make your enemies your footstool". In my opinion, the only questionaire here based on this verse would be 'who could have been David's Lord with the 'my' quoted when David was the only king at that time, inspired by 'The Lord',who is the same God of Abraham,Isaac and Jacob?' Hence, David's immediate master could mean one thing: The Lord's Servant. There's so much more to explain but thank you for the question :-)

June 01 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report