3

What is the rock in Matthew 16:18?

Matthew 16:18

ESV - 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

8
The debate rages over whether "the rock" on which Christ will build His church is Peter, or Peter's confession that Jesus is "the Christ, the Son of the Living God" (Matthew 16:16). In all honesty,...

2
Mini Ed Whittaker
In my opinion, the foundation of the Church is everyone who believes and follows God, not just Peter, and this is what I think the verse is saying - we are all part of the Church's foundations as we are here to help others in their own faith.

January 01 2014 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Stringio Vincent Mercado Supporter Skeptic turned believer, Catholic, father of 2
Obviously Peter is the rock. I am reading from a French bible, "Tu es Pierre, et sur cette pierre".

Interestingly, Jesus would have not spoken French, instead he would have spoken in Aramaic. He would have said, "You are Kephas, and on this kephas" c.f. John 1:42

September 23 2013 5 responses Vote Up Share Report