0

Who is the prince mentioned in Ezekiel 44:3?

The Priesthood Restored
44 Then the man brought me back to the outer gate of the sanctuary, the one facing east, and it was shut. 2 The Lord said to me, “This gate is to remain shut. It must not be opened; no one may enter through it. It is to remain shut because the Lord, the God of Israel, has entered through it. 3 The prince himself is the only one who may sit inside the gateway to eat in the presence of the Lord. He is to enter by way of the portico of the gateway and go out the same way.”

Ezekiel 44:1 - 3

ESV - 1 Then he brought me back to the outer gate of the sanctuary, which faces east. And it was shut. 2 And the Lord said to me, "This gate shall remain shut; it shall not be opened, and no one shall enter by it, for the Lord, the God of Israel, has entered by it. Therefore it shall remain shut.

Clarify Share Report Asked August 26 2019 My picture Jack Gutknecht

2
In my opinion, the "prince" mentioned in the verse cited in the question does not have messianic significance, but represents the temporal king or ruler whom God would place over the people of Judah (those to whom Ezekiel was sent to prophesy during their exile in Babylon) after they had returned from that exile. 

The lack of messianic symbolism on the part of this indvidual is indicated by Ezekiel's later prophecy of him making sacrificial offerings on his own behalf for the forgiveness of sin (Ezekiel 46:4-7); and also by a reference to him having biological sons (Ezekiel 46:16-18)

August 26 2019 3 responses Vote Up Share Report