0

What does the Bible say about someone who deliberately sets out to destroy someone for no apparent reason?

Clarify Share Report Asked March 26 2019 Mini Samantha Dunley

2
I would say that the Bible recognizes (in passages such as Psalm 69:4) that there will be people who choose (and perhaps with no discernible cause) to be destructive toward us. At the same time, however, I would also say that, while the Bible does not approve of them or their actions (which we cannot necessarily control), it focuses more (in both the Old and New Testaments) on how God's people should respond to them (which Christians CAN control).

Specific passages that come to my mind are:

Deuteronomy 32:35 ("It is mine to avenge; I will repay. In due time their foot will slip; their day of disaster is near and their doom rushes upon them.")

Romans 12:19 ("Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the LORD.")

Hebrews 10:30 ("For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The LORD will judge his people.")

Matthew 5:38-48 (too lengthy to quote here in full)

That is not to say, however, that such people should be allowed to escape the consequences of their actions if their hostility should extend into the realm of illegal or criminal behavior. In such a case, earthly authorities would be acting as God's agents in administering justice (which would ultimately be intended for the possible reform or rehabilitation of the perpetrators) and providing restitution (if possible) to their victim(s).

March 28 2019 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Philip medium Philip Davies
One of the hardest things to endure is malevolence. The idea that someone wants to harm you and bring you suffering just for the evil of it. Many people find it hard to recover from that kind of experience. Nietzsche said "He who has a 'why' to live by can bear almost any 'how'." And what he meant by that is that if you can see a reason for a thing then you can usually endure it. It's when we don't see any reason that we are lost. 

Victor Frankel, who lived through Auschwitz, saw many acts of pure malevolence and inflicted suffering on innocent people. You can read about in his short book "Man's Search for Meaning." He discovered that those victims who had meaning in their lives or a relationship with God were far more likely to survive than those who did not. When everything is taken from you, a sense of meaning, will get you through the day. Matt 6:33-34
Regard
Phil