0

How can we grow in relationship with God without it feeling like an obligation/duty?

Clarify Share Report Asked March 22 2019 Data Dan Dubic

1
I would say that Christians would do this by making a conscious effort to continually maintain the perspective described by John Newton in his hymn "Amazing Grace", when he said, "How precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed!"

Christians should never lose an awareness of the magnitude of the undeserved mercy and forgiveness that God has shown to them for Christ's sake. (Almost forty years later, I can still recall my own joy and thankfulness when I received it.) Although the concerns of day-to-day living may crowd in upon us, that awareness should motivate us to continually want to deepen our knowledge of Him, and our relationship with Him. 

Also, in my own case (for example), my love for my wife may not always maintain the same level of intensity, but it is never reduced to the status of an obligation or duty, or something that I do because I "have to". If that can be true of a human love relationship, how much more should it apply to our relationship with God after His love has made it possible for us to live eternally, which is a cause for greater joy than any human interaction can provide. (As C.S. Lewis said in his book Mere Christianity, in comparison to that love and delight, even the most rapturous relationship between a man and a woman in this earthly life is "mere milk and water".)

March 24 2019 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Data Ursula Monroe
As in all relationships there is a flow of closeness and distance except for God. As humans we have a sin nature to deal with and the added burden of Satan and his minions trying to trip us up. Remember this is his mission; to keep as many of God’s children from growing in faith and wisdom. 

For me I try to keep reading the Bible a chapter everyday. And during particularly difficult times I’ll pray the word or sing it (have to do this alone because I can’t really sing). 

So for me I just keep at it just like any relationship and that time will pass too. Pray about it and talk with God. He already knows your heart and will bring you back to your spiritual gift that was bestowed on you from the Holy Spirit when you accepted Jesus as your savior. There will be your passion.

I just prayed for you.