4

How do I know what is God's will for my life?

How do I know if I am doing what God wants me to do? Nothing seems to be working for me currently. Is there a certain type of employment or place of residency, or something specific I should be doing?

Clarify Share Report Asked June 09 2013 Mini Anonymous

23
Stringio James Evans
If I may try answering with love.  We have to realize that our life circumstances are going to be there whether we like them or not.  God has you right where he wants you.  Look to God and ask Him, what are you trying to show me Lord?  What is it I need to learn?  We have to sometimes remember that God wants us to trust Him! We live under our own understanding instead of God's understanding and because things are not looking great, learn to look around you, and know that God is there.  Learn to trust the Lord everyday even though your understanding isn't clear.  He will show you the way!  If I may encourage two things...first, begin a daily reading of the bible.  The reason, to know God is to know the Truth and the Truth is "The Bible"  This is the only way I know to know what God's will is.  It takes time to read and learn how to understand the Bible, but do this, Pray before each reading for God to reveal something to you.  Give God your Best of the day...First Fruits, which means, read when you're rested not tired, pray when you're happy as well as sad.  Ask what you can do for God, not what He can do for you.  Attitude is everything and the hardest thing to obtain in this exhausting world is "The Right Attitude" but try and think with God's Love instead of ours. Pray for your sins to be forgiven and walk away from those sins everyday! What I'm asking isn't from me but from God! God loves you and He's right there for you right now as we speak. Remember what the bible teaches us. The bible is filled with stories of encouragement and testimony inspired by God's Children and you are one in the same.  You are to be inspired by God daily and you are to inspire daily in the name of God. Don't sell yourself short, God's doing exactly what He is supposed to be doing in your life and I believe we as His children need to seek what He's trying to show us.  I hope this helps, I love you! God Bless. There is hope, just keep reading, praying and being still for the Lord and He will bring you All Things!

June 10 2013 2 responses Vote Up Share Report

8
Data Selva Moses Supporter Director - Singapore InfoComm Technology, servant of God
The restoration of the operation of the gifts of revelation, namely Prophesying, Word of Wisdom and Word of Knowledge, has refreshingly reassured us that God does speak today. But one of the misuses of these gifts is evident when preachers who claim to have these gifts promise believers a blueprint for their lives. Though such a promise may be exciting, it is definitely not in line with the teaching of theBible. 

God does not give us a blueprint but a map and a compass. If there's a blueprint there's no room for choices. We will be simply dictated by the details of the blueprint rather than directed by the Spirit of the Lord. Life will become dimensionless. It's the element of uncertainty that adds excitement to life and strengthens faith. Of Abraham, the father of those who believe, it is said, "He went out, not knowing where he was going" (Heb 11:8). This is walking by faith. We don't need to know "what" the future holds for us. It's enough if we are assured "who" holds the future for us. 

When Paul at the hour of his conversion asked God, "Lord, what do You want me to do," he was not given a blueprint for the rest of his life. Rather, God answered him, "Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do" (Acts 9:6). This must have been very humbling for an intellect like Paul. But this best illustrates how God leads us by one step at a time. John Henry Newman (1801-1890)sang, 

Lead, kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom; 
Lead Thou me on; 
The night is dark, and I am far from home; 
Lead Thou me on; 
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see 
The distant scene; 
One step enough for me. 

Getting influenced by the so-called "prophetic blueprints" from preachers is highly risky and it may ruin your life completely. Don't go from preacher to preacher asking for predictions. Direct and simple leading of the Holy Spirit is the birthright of every child of God (Rom 8:14). There's a fourfold discipline which guarantees God's direction for your life— 

Be regular in daily prayer and Bible meditation. Prayer tunes us up to the mind of God. The Bible is a lamp to our feet and a light to our path (Psa 119:105). 

❶ Be active in your work. "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might" (Eccl 9:10a). God does not waste His guidance on lazy people. 

❷ Be enthusiastic in serving God. Those who serve God wholeheartedly do not normally miss His will. A commitment to do maximum for the Kingdom of God delights His heart. 

❸ Be joyful in the company of God's people. Learning from one another gives you fresh insights. It keeps your heart from getting hardened (Eph 5:17,19; Heb 3:13). 

❹ People go for blueprints because they are afraid of making mistakes. No child learns walking without falling. Trying to be cocksure about everything actually paralyses us. Keeping the general Biblical principles in mind, walk according to whatever light you have. If you deviate, God will correct you by a voice "from behind" (Is 30:21). Even if you make a mistake, you don't need to be unnerved. We learn from mistakes. When our heart is steadfast towards God, He will turn everything into good. God did not tell the apostles in the first instance itself to go to Macedonia. When they went to Asia the Holy Spirit forbade them to preach there. They tried to go to Bithynia and they were stopped by the Spirit there also. It was at Bithynia, the Lord gave them a call to Macedonia (Acts 16:6-10). 

God does allow periods of darkness in our lives. We must simply trust in Him and stay put (Isa 50:10). "Bread of adversity and water of affliction" must not scare us (Isa 30:20). Running here and there will get us nowhere (vv15,16,18). Alongwith David we can sing, "God is my strength and power; He makes my way perfect" (2 Sam 22:33). 

We understand the ways of God better and better only when we grow and mature. No father will tell a child what only an adult can understand. Jesus did not tell everything to His disciples in their three year train.

April 18 2017 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

7
Fanny 035 Fanny Essamuah
Being a Christian or a born again does not mean that all your problems will vanish.  Focus on the things that are a blessing around you everyday such as  air, water, food, shelter, sun, friends, family etc.....  find about 5 things to be grateful for everyday.  God loves you and he will finish what he has started.  He never said it would be easy but he promises to be with us.  He will never leave you nor forsake you.  Read your bible everyday and pray without season.  Tell God how you feel and ask him to help you see that he is right there with you.  I know it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when all is not right.  the bible tells us to give thanks regardless of our situation.  I promise you that God is faithful and will see you through.  He might change the situation or give the understanding and strength to be calm and have peace in Christ Jesus. Also try to help others, it will take your mind off your problems and you will find it very rewarding.  My family and I will remember you in out prayers.  numbers 6:24-26 NIV 
The Lord bless you
    and keep you;
25 the Lord make his face shine on you
    and be gracious to you;
26 the Lord turn his face toward you
    and give you peace.”
AMEN

June 16 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

5
Doktor D W Supporter
I wrote this following a mountaintop experience in 1980.

When I was a university student the big question on campus was "What am I going to be? What will I major in? How should I prepare?" At the Christian college where I taught, Christian students agonized over "God’s will." They grieved, they spent sleepless nights, they cried in each others arms. "Why doesn’t He tell me His will?" was repeated over and over, in the saddest, most anguished voice. My response then and now is this: 1) If you have received Jesus as Savior and Lord, 2) if you are growing in knowledge and wisdom and strength, and 3) if you are telling others about our wonderful Savior, then you are smack in the middle of God's will! So why ask questions like, "What is God's will...." in this or that situation? You're IN it. The simple, glorious Truth is that Jesus Christ answers the questions,

Do I count? (Significance)
Who am I?  (Identity)
Who cares? (Recognition)
™ ® ©

Paul tells us in Ephesians that our citizenship is in our heavenly Heaven and that as such we are royal ambassadors here on earth, representing our Savior. Don't think of yourself as just another number. Your eternal home is already in the heavenly Heaven, Citizen! When asked why you do what you do as a Christian, answer that you are an ambassador for Christ. "I'm walking in God's Will! I have SIR! His pathway is mine!" What an assignment!

September 13 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report

3
Scan14 Michael Tinsley Retired Army veteran. Love my Bible (Jesus) and fishing.
We live in a 'do' oriented society and world. Everyone has to have something to do and that's where people get confused about God's will for them personally. 'Being' comes first as you will see as you continue to read.

God's will for your life isn't a plan (doing something), its a Person and that Person is Jesus!

John 14:19-20 says this, ' In a little while, the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you.'

'Being' is the beginning of your walk with Jesus, learning how much God loves you and by that, coming to love Him in response. Then you are able to love others as you love yourself.

With Jesus in you through His Holy Spirit and you abiding in Him, He will guide your life and you will be exactly where God wants you to be, doing what He had planned for you before you were born, 
Ephesians 2:10, ' For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.'

Not everyone is called to be a great evangelist or a great missionary heard by thousands as spokespeople for salvation in Jesus Christ.

We all have different mental and physical skills and we have spiritual gifts as well. There are many more tradespeople and housewives and nurses and office workers than there are presidents or cutting edge researchers or doctors.

There are many more of who we call 'normal' people and, all of us normal people have situations wherein we can share the Gospel of Jesus with the people around us or learn more about the Gospel so we are equipped for that.

God's will for you right now may be waiting until you learn more from your Bible study and for an opportunity that will present itself in the near future

Know that God is in control and trust that He has you doing what He wants you to do. Learning your Bible and growing in your knowledge and love of Jesus, praying, and listening to the guidance of your indwelling Holy Spirit is His perfect will for you and for all of us.

November 22 2015 6 responses Vote Up Share Report

2
1340324413 Chris Eleam Chris Eleam
Don't get down, first I would suggest to understand what the bible says God's will is for everyone including you please read 1Tim 2:4 do you see that God first wants you to come to an accurate knowledge of truth. How do you do that? Read John 3:17 once again gaining knowledge of God and his son is essential. By studying your bible and making personal application on what your learn I would be more than Glad to assit you if you necessary.

June 10 2013 1 response Vote Up Share Report

2
Open uri20150324 19528 qn1nun Scarlett Holtz Missionary to the Philippines and wherever He sends me.
God’s will is knowable and provable. Romans 12:2 says, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to see what God’s will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will.” This passage gives us an important sequence: the child of God refuses to be conformed to the world and instead allows himself to be transformed by the Spirit. As his mind is renewed according to the things of God, then he can know God’s perfect will.

As we seek God’s will, we should make sure what we are considering is not something the Bible forbids. For example, the Bible forbids stealing; since God has clearly spoken on the issue, we know it is not His will for us to be a bank robbers—we don’t even need to pray about it. Also, we should make sure that anything we consider doing, speaking of or acting upon will glorify God and help us and others grow spiritually.

Knowing God’s will requires patience. It’s natural to want to know all God has for us at once, but that’s not how He usually works. He reveals to us a step at a time—each move a step of faith—and allows us to continue to trust Him. The important thing is that, as we wait for further direction, we are busy doing the good that we know to do (James 4:17). As we wait we study His word read all that He has for you. Look into 2Tim 3 He gives you instructions on what He wants you to do. He tells you to STUDY His word. Study to show your self approved, being a workman, rightly dividing His truth and that His word will, encourage you, teach you correct you etc..

Often, we want God to give us specifics—where to work, where to live, whom to marry, what car to buy, etc. God allows us to make choices, and, if we are yielded to Him, He has ways of preventing wrong choices (see Acts 16:6–7).

The better we get to know a person, the more acquainted we become with his or her desires. The same is true in our relationship to God. As we walk with the Lord, obeying His Word and relying on His Spirit, we find that we are given the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16). We know Him, and that helps us to know His will. We find God’s guidance readily available. “The righteousness of the blameless makes their paths straight, / but the wicked are brought down by their own wickedness” (Proverbs 11:5). Most importantly and the easiest way to know God's will is to know that His will is His WORD! easy as that! All God wants for you in your life, all He needs you to do is to adhere to His word and you will walk in His will. We are all called to and for different parts of the ministry of God yes, but know this that all He needs, requires and asks of you is written down for you to follow. Remain blessed!

April 19 2017 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

1
Img 0307 t.blue edwards
As long as you are obeying God's commandments, you are in and doing THE WILL of GOD... God is sovereign and in control. He will work out the "specifics" in your life according to His good pleasure. Our responsibility is to surrender to, trust in and obey God. This all starts with accepting Jesus, the only begotten son, as both LORD and SAVIOR of out lives.

December 05 2013 0 responses Vote Up Share Report

0
Mini Anonymous
I understand, My thoughts were HE my LORD and saver had a certain place of employment, and a certain place to live. With this though in mind it's our choice of where we'll live, work,. One needs to spread the GOOD NEWS, read HIS word, pray and worship, that's the bottom line correct? I understand the word says we are to know HIM.